Just a note to the effect that I’ve gathered the pics of the front garden into their own permanent album. There will be more to add as I add cut sandstone to the build in order to cover the block walls, but I suspect this may not happen for a while as my priority is not shifted back to finishing Ju’s studio.
A while back I wrote a piece of music as an experiment to test a software reverb I had recently bought (I still use that reverb actually, and it’s really good, but I digress). Anyway, after I’d written it I put it ‘out there’ via cdbaby just because I had nothing better to do with it.
Recently, cdbaby have been using youtube to add views to the various tracks from their artist members, myself included. So here it is – it’s an extremely mellow, slow-paced ambient track.
Trivia: For the cover photograph I used an image I took many years ago in Scotland near Ben Nevis while doing the 3-peaks challenge.
For some time now I have been steadily working on a Very Cool(tm) programming project. I want to do some commercial things with it later, so I can’t really say what it is or what it does, but what I can say is that it works with network packets and it requires kernel-level adjustments to fulfill its potential.
Since starting it, I have been developing on Linux, specifically Ubuntu (though that’s not really important) because Linux is:
Easy to install
Comes with any number of graphical interfaces which can be selected with the click of a button
Has a massive amount of software support (editors, IDEs etc).
However, I recently determined that FreeBSD (an old love of mine) is required for my project, not due to technical reasons, but for licensing ones. If I was to modify the Linux kernel such that it served the purposes I need it to, then the GPL (GNU Public Licence) under which Linux is distributed would force me to release my software under GPL as well, and at this point in time I simply don’t want to do that.
I therefore recently took the plunge and spent a couple of days getting a nice 64-bit FreeBSD system set up. It took some tinkering and messing about with various configurations and drivers, but I now have KDE running at HD resolution, with Geany (my IDE of choice) and the various other packages I use, all running fine.
The final step was to tweak my code to compile cleanly under Clang (as opposed to GCC) and I couldn’t be happier with the result, so now I’m in FreeBSD heaven again (I always did love it) and working towards getting my project to the point where it can take on some commercial viability.
Not to be left out of the creative/building productivity going on around here, Willow made this amazing model of a house in the midst of the Great fire of London. She is very proud of it and rightly so. A lot of hard work went into it. I especially love the burning people attention to detail, the look on the face of the lady at the front is priceless 🙂
On Tuesday, 4 large backs of slate chippings arrived and we laid the landscaping fabric and started putting the chippings on it. There are now 3.4 tons of slate in the garden. Thanks to Ciara for coming over and helping, she was distributing the slate as I was barrowing it down.
Took a day out today as I wasn’t feeling that great, but this weekend I’m going to start working on splitting the sandstone rocks (the ones in a big pile by the bike in the below pics) and using them to face the block walls with a natural stone covering to complete the project.
A decade or so back, I wrote a rather thematic piece of music. Recently, an organ voluntary written by my Grandfather in 1938 was brought to my attention and I rendered a recording of it using modern technology. If we make a ‘two part’ piece by using mine as an introduction to his, then I think the result works very well:
Part I:(c) Eddy Deegan, 2005
Part II:(c) John Joseph Deegan, 1938
So there you go, Grandfather and Grandson doing their thing, across a 67 year gap.
Today marks a week of working on the garden, albeit only in short bursts during the week due to having a full time job in addition! Anyway, today I built the last retaining wall, did some serious grading on the top area and added some blocks down the side to prevent spillage when we finish the grading and get the crushed slate in on Tuesday.
Saturday, finally a day where I could get more than an hour of daylight while working on the landscaping! After a lovely family fire in the gazebo last night, I had a bit of a lie-in today then got to it out front.
Took a few photos of the garden at the start of the day, then dug out some additional foundation trenches for mini-retaining walls that will go down the side of the garden, to prevent spillage due to differences in height between our newly terraced garden and the neighbour’s.
Mixed up a couple of loads of ballast-based concrete (it’s sharp sand with little stones in it) for the foundations then filled the aforementioned trenches. Then I mixed a smooth-sand mortar and filled the gaps between the blocks on the walls that I’ve built so far, and also extended the smaller, second wall right to the far side of the garden.
Finally, Willow and I started to grade the top area so that it’s flatter in preparation for landscape fabric and slate cover on Tuesday. There is more work to do there, but it’s a good start and things are now beginning to look tidier.